Sunday, May 31, 2009

In an Apatow World...

"An optimistic anthem for the normal schlub"




On the date of May 6, 2009, a New york City based comedy website by the name of CollegeHumor (http://www.collegehumor.com) released a video titled "In an Apatow World." Being rather familiar with producer Judd Apatow's work, I considered this video to be one of CollegeHumor's most orginal & most creative works to date! In this video, a duet of a overwheight guy (the fabeled "normal shlub") and a cute girl sing about the unique male-female relationship that is can be seen in almost all Judd Apatow movies to date.

I am full certain that certain people in this class (Nick and Shiran) who are avid fans of Judd Apatow will enjoy this video much more than others. In fact, I clearly remember Shiran saying something along the lines of Judd Apatow being her "favorite movie director of all time."

Here is a direct quote from Shiran Lugashi's own blog post titled as Unpopular Opinions:
"I tend to dislike the old cliche that all comedians come from terrible upbringings, and I find that it's just as often false as true, but I do know that Mr. Apatow had a sad, mundane little childhood. He's talked in articles about how he had very few friends, was the stereotypical nerd, and always looked to comedy as a way to escape, so much that it became an obsession for him. So it does really warm my heart to see that he's managed to do the same for so many people.

His movies really do all seem to be dedicated to the modern day Apatows (if that makes sense to anyone but me). Here's an example I find very apt: In the Knocked Up commentary, he talks about a blind date he went on once. He thought it was going really well until his date told him she had to go back home because her friend's dad had gotten really sick and she needed to check in on him. So, he proceeded to call her every fifteen minutes or so asking how everything was, until finally his date's roommate picked up the phone and said "She doesn't want to talk to you!" and hung up. At this point in the commentary Judd jokingly asks "How do you bounce back from that?" to which Seth Rogen answers "You make a bunch of movies about nerds winning. That's what you do."

Although I myself may not be as fanatical as Shiran when it comes to Judd Apatow, I can say that I do enjoy his work quite often & would recommend it to many of you - not to mention the fact that the majority of his films are geared towards an adolescent audience ;-)

Here are the lyrics to this brilliant song:


(Guy)
Take a look over here, won't you take a look at me
I'm nothing special, nothing much to see
I got a weird scruffy beard and a big beer gut
I smoke herb all day, I'm a loser but

There's a place I know where I can land
Any woman with a sweep of my chubby hand
A magic place where girls aren't guarded
All you need to be is socially retarded

In an Apatow world
You could be my girl
I'll be Seth Rogen
you'll be Kate Heigel

You're not out of my league
Stoner is the new stud
Cause a loser is a winner
In this world of Judd

Now my job's unique and it seems bizarre
Ugly guys aren't anchors or rock stars
My friends are lame but important to me
In fact the same guys are in all of these movies

But despite all that I catch your eyes
and you're charmed by my wit to my surprise
Somehow you love it when I talk to you shyly
Even though I look like John C Reilly

In an Apatow world
You would be my girl
You'll be Mila Kunis
I'm Jay Siegel

We will have a big fight
But no bad blood
Cuz it all ends happily
In this world of Judd


(Girl)
I think you got it twisted dude, I'm kind of mystified
That these unrealistic movies have blinded both your eyes
To the cold reality of basic sexual attraction
Jonah Hill only lands Emma Stone after 'action'

At the end of the day you're a gross man-boy slob
And you've played your PS3 longer than you've held a job
So I won't be your Applegate, your Fischer nor your Keener
You should take that hairy Ferrell ass to the cleaners

But in an Apatow world
Yeah, I'd be your girl
I'd run my perfect fingers
Through that Jew-fro curl

And the losers in the crowd
Now know they have a chance
Nevermind being awkward
All you need is romance

But before we conclude
Lemme have the last word
You would never touch this
In the actual world

5 comments:

  1. HAhaHa I did enjoy that. It's amazing how incredibly true it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha, I knew you'd like it dude! CollegeHumor's got some innovative parodies of many well known movies. (Unfortunately, Blogger somehow managed to cut off the right-most part of the video player.... But that's besides the point)

    By the way Nick, are you watching the "MTV Movie Awards" right now? It's amazingly AWESOME! They just showed a sneak preview of the new Transformers movie and it was absolutely BEAUTIFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched about 10 minutes of that show and then turned it off after that Transformers preview. I figured I'd end on a high note. I hate the MTV Movie Awards. I cannot respect an award show that places Twilight next to Slumdog Millionaire or even Dark Knight and Iron Man for Best Picture. Not only that, it actually won! Twilight beat Slumdog Millionaire, Iron Man, and The Dark Knight for Best Picture. WTF! I hate it, and I never watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed Nick that is a downright crime. Although I do find their spoofs humorous and I am an Andy Samberg fan so I watched it. As for the vid Yuriy very funny and spot on

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete